WILMINGTON, Del. — In case you missed it, public officials, local service groups, and national service supporters took to social media to spotlight the work of AmeriCorps members and other national service groups to support a community-driven COVID-19 recovery. On the tag, #ServiceShoutout, national service members and supporters shared their stories from the past year of pandemic response and recovery.
National service members have stepped up throughout the pandemic – supporting students with distance learning, helping schools to reopen safely, providing counseling and mental support to families impacted by the pandemic, delivering food and medicine to vulnerable populations, helping struggling Americans access government nutrition and rental assistance, staffing 311 and COVID-19 vaccine hotlines, and so much more. Here’s a selection of posts from U.S. senators:
- U.S. Sen. Chris Coons (D-Del.) shouted out reading activities from the Delaware Summer Literacy Corps, Ministry of Caring’s support for Delaware seniors, and Delaware Foster Grandparents Program’s holiday meal event.
- U.S. Sen. Roger Wicker (R-Miss.) shouted out the “littlest libraries” initiative by Foster Grandparents of the Pine Belt and the broad efforts of Volunteer Mississippi.
- U.S. Sen. Roy Blunt (R-Mo.) shouted out student support from City Year Kansas City, higher education initiatives by College Bound St. Louis, COVID-19 vaccination and testing efforts by AmeriCorps St. Louis, and tornado recovery campaigns in Southwest Missouri.
- U.S. Sen. Bill Cassidy (R-La.) shouted out Shreveport Green and ShreveCorps members' work to address local food deserts.
- U.S. Sen. Tammy Duckworth (D-Ill.) shouted out New Star AmeriCorps members that are supporting Illinoisans with intellectual disabilities.
- U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) shouted out City Year Chicago’s virtual learning support throughout the pandemic.
- U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) shouted out AmeriCorps members supporting California’s COVID-19 recovery.
- U.S. Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) shouted out fresh produce delivery by Green City Force.
- U.S. Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith (R-Miss.) shouted out AmeriCorps members’ presence in response to natural disasters, one AmeriCorps member’s support for nurses and first responders, a renovation project in Clarkco State Park, and Jumpstart’s work to improve literacy.
- U.S. Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.) shouted out Literacy Minnesota’s Summer Reads program.
- U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) shouted out AmeriCorps members work directly in Florida communities.
- U.S. Sen. Tina Smith (D-Minn.) shouted out food distribution efforts in Minnesota.
Want to see more #ServiceShoutout posts from community members? Check out the tag onTwitter, Facebook, and Instagram. You can also see some spotlighted stories on the official AmeriCorps page!