On March 18, the Families First Coronavirus Response Act was signed into law. The legislation offers free testing for COVID-19, provides paid leave for many Americans, bolsters unemployment and nutrition aid programs, and more.
The Families First Coronavirus Response Act includes:
• Free coronavirus testing for everyone who needs a test, including the uninsured;
• Paid emergency leave for many workers with both 2 weeks of paid sick leave and up to 10 weeks of additional paid family and medical leave;
• Assistance for states struggling to handle a surge in unemployment, an important first step to help affected workers;
• Strengthened food security initiatives, including SNAP, student meals, seniors’ nutrition, and food banks;
• Clear protections for frontline workers, including health care workers and other workers who are in contact with those who have been exposed or are responsible for cleaning at-risk places;
• Increased federal funds for Medicaid, as states face increased costs, which will provide $100 million to Delaware.