Ensuring global security and promoting our interests abroad
As a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, Senator Coons is working to promote America’s interests abroad and defend against global security threats. This includes advocating for security, stability, and peace in regions plagued by conflict; supporting our troops in the field and ensuring they have the resources they need; promoting economic statecraft to encourage strong trading partners and increase U.S. exports abroad; and stemming the spread of terrorism and proliferation of weapons of mass destruction. A strong foreign policy rooted in American values must aim to promote democracy and freedom, protect human rights, and defend U.S. interests abroad.
Senator Coons’ foreign relations priorities include:
- Promoting strong economic statecraft. Senator Coons is working to promote strong economic statecraft and trade ties with our partners abroad in order to expand U.S. exports, increase jobs at home and expand access to overseas markets for American – and especially Delaware – businesses.
- Defending U.S. security interests. Senator Coons believes we must use all tools at our disposal to defend Americans against global threats and protect U.S. security interests abroad. He supports strong U.S. leadership, working in partnerships with our allies, to combat terrorism and promote global security, stability, and peace.
- Supporting our troops in the field. During his first few months in office, Senator Coons traveled to Afghanistan to thank our troops for their honorable service and ensure they had the resources they needed to fulfill the mission. He is committed to ensuring that any U.S. troop deployment abroad is worthy of their exceptional service and sacrifice.
- Building partnerships in Africa. As Chairman of the Foreign Relations Subcommittee on African Affairs, Senator Coons is focused on building partnerships throughout the continent to promote good governance, global health, food security, economic development, and regional security.
- Defending freedom, democracy, and security in the Middle East. Senator Coons believes the U.S. must play a leadership role partnering with people seeking freedom and democracy around the world, including in the Middle East. He deeply values our strong and abiding partnership with Israel, and believes the U.S. must do everything in its power to defend U.S. security interests in the region. He is focused on ensuring Iran does not develop a nuclear weapon capability, and defending the Syrian people against the unconscionable onslaught of violence perpetrated by the Assad regime.
- Supporting nuclear security, non-proliferation, and strategic arms reduction. Senator Coons knows that one of the most significant security threats facing the United States the spread of nuclear weapons, technology, and material. This is why he supported the ratification of the New Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START) with Russia during his first weeks in the Senate, and continues to support nuclear non-proliferation and global strategic arms reduction efforts.